There is no doubt that 2021 has been the dawn of the interior designers’ blue period, blues are popping up everywhere from furniture and decor to walls and paint for cabinetry and doors. The buzz around hues of blue are going to be sticking around through 2022.
In fact, Navy blue was named 2021’s color of the year, and so let’s take a deeper look at this elegant and tranquil shade.
Why so Blue?
Navy blue is leading the charge when it comes to being a top choice for interior color trends for 2021, and surely this will carry into 2022. Navy, like black, is a shade that can be used as a neutral backdrop that can be used to soften or amp up a room depending on the decor. Navy blue transforms every and any space imaginable from bedrooms to kitchen cabinets and everything in between. Navy is a tried and true color that has grown in popularity for everything from fashion to furniture and is emerging as a go-to shade for interior paint for any room.
A deep shade of blue offers the ability to evoke a range of emotions from moody to calming–yet, always proves to be both chic and modern while remaining classic and sophisticated. It is no wonder why so many designers and homeowners alike are turning to navy—from paint to furniture, navy is a tried and true shade that is both trendy and timeless.
True Blue: How to Use Navy in Your Home
- Color Family: Blues
- Complementary Color: Orange
- Pairs Well With: Black, white, metallics, neutrals
- Mood: Powerful, calming, sophisticated
- Where to Use: Kitchen cabinets, accent walls, and dining rooms
If it’s time for you to get in the know with navy, check five of our favorite designer-approved navy paint colors:
- Old Navy- Benjamin Moore: A dark navy that makes a statement. This versatile true navy pairs well with both neutrals and bold accent colors. It can be sleek and sophisticated, or trendy and modern.
- Hale Navy- Benjamin Moore: One of the most popular navy blue paints, with its lack of green undertone, this shade is a versatile neutral tone of navy that works well with crisp whites. This paint is dark enough to boast a statement with enough blue pigment to never be confused with black. “The perfect shade of navy”
- Naval- Sherwin Williams: This mix of deep sea blue and night sky creates a unique blend for the perfect shade of navy blue paint. This shade has an aqua undertone that is great for a bohemian style or a classic, sophisticated style.
- Mysterious- Sherwin Williams: This almost black-blue pulls grayish undertones for a dark, elegant deep navy blue with just the right level of ‘moody’. This shade is rich and deep and makes a wonderful accent color for bookshelves, powder rooms, or island cabinets.
- Salty Dog- Sherwin Williams: If you’re envisioning a moody sea, you’re picturing the right shade of dark blue. This navy blue paint color has a strong green undertone reminiscent of a dark and deep ocean. Looking almost black, this shade works best in areas with lots of natural light and pairs well with lighter accent colors and trim, creating a striking contrast for a bold and beautiful look.
Tips on Choosing the Right Navy Blue for You
When choosing the perfect navy hue from the almost endless tints and tones available, there are some tips you may want to follow to make sure you select the right shade for your project. First, always get a sample of any color you may be considering, different shades can look different in various types of light making them look vastly different in the sales showroom than they will when you get them home.
Secondly, you’ll want to consider the light reflective value (LRV) of the color you’re using. Paint colors are assigned a number on a 0-100 scale. The closer to 0 the LRV is the darker it is, likewise, the closer to 100 the lighter it is. To avoid getting a shade that is too dark or too light once you get it home, determine the LRV to get a more perfect match to what you’re hoping the color will look like once on the walls, furnishings, or cabinets.
Lastly, consider the accents and decor around which you’ll be using the navy paint. While navy is a neutral that will spruce up any space and generally blends well with a wide array of colors, trends, patterns and themes, there are some accents that work better with navy paint than others and will make your room really pop. For example, rich wood and orange offer a striking contrast that creates a beautiful, eye-catching look. On the other hand, neutrals such as creams, beiges, whites, and gray balance the stark navy for a calm, soothing mood.
When you’re ready to dive into the sea of navy and choose a beautiful, luxurious deep blue shade of paint, contact the experts at Flowers Painting to book your consultation today.
About Flowers Painting
Flowers Painting is a full-service interior painting company that services the entire Charlotte metro area including Mooresville, Huntersville, Davidson, Concord, Rock Hill, and more. Call today to schedule your FREE estimate (704) 445-7750. Flowers Painting provides full painting services including color consulting, interior painting, faux finishing, textured walls, cabinet refinishing, interior stairs, handrails, and more. To see pictures of our finished work be sure to visit our website gallery.